We are now accepting applications for both mentees and mentors for the 2023-2024 Mentorship Program!
Deadline for the mentorship program is Friday September 29th, 2023.
Please fill out a mentee or mentor application form (links on the right)
Mentorship Program Overview:
The Rehabilitation Sciences Mentorship Program is a yearlong mentorship program that intends to connect students for research skill development, opportunities for collaboration and networking, and career exploration. The program aims to assist new graduate students and PDF’s transition from previous university programs, or professional work, into the novel research-focused trainee environment. In addition, the program aims to support trainees at all stages of their research careers. The program incorporates face-to-face mentoring with online contact, networking events, and connections to career development resources including the annual RSEC Research Day.
As a mentee, you will:
- Connect with individuals from different research labs
- Share experiences and learn from a fellow trainee’s challenges and achievements
- Explore academic, professional and personal plans
- Have the opportunity to build academic and professional networks
As a mentor, you will:
- Take initiative and lead by example
- Build contacts and develop new connections
- Contribute to your student community by supporting peers
Mentors are encouraged to initiate contact at the start of the mentorship relationship. Going forward, both the mentee and mentor should actively connect with one another over the course the year.
- Mentors must aim to maintain at least one point of contact per month (for example, over email, phone, Zoom etc.)
- Mentees and mentors should aim to meet in person at least once per term
- Mentees and mentors should attend at least one RSEC hosted event per year
The mentorship relationship is developed over 8-9 months. The time commitment for mentors and mentees ranges from 10-20 hours. The program begins will run from October 2023 to July 2024. The more you put into the program, the more you’ll get out of it!
For more information, please contact our Mentorship Program Coordinator: Rebeca Hernandez Gamboa [firstname.lastname@example.org]
Stay tuned for additional resources for both mentors and mentees to get the most out of their mentorship relationship!